The Capitals looked to rebound from their 7 game skid against the struggling Canadiens. While the Canadiens haven’t lost 7 straight, they have lost 4 of 5 that Carey Price has started.
The Capitals look to have jumped into the lead very late in the first. While on a powerplay, Alex Ovechkin made a spectacular pass to Troy Brouwer, pulling Price out of his net. Brouwers shot, however, came about 2 seconds after the whistle had blown, just pilling on the Capitals bad luck.
The Caps took their first lead in 18 years when Ovechkin scored on just after the powerplay that spilled over the early in the second. He pick up a rebound off Price, batted it on his stick three times, and put it home on a band of off Price. A goal like that helps spark teams and that is exactly what the captain did (he makes us stink though). 1-0 Caps 1:46 into the second.
The Capitals continued their domination when they got a friendly bounce goal from John Erskine. The puck is knocked away from him, but trickles through everyone and goes 5-hole on Price. 2-0 Caps 16:55 left in the second.
The Capitals youngin Tommy Wilson got his second point in two nights on a primary assist to Jay Beagle. Price overcommitted to Wilson who made the backdoor pass the Beagle, he controlled the pass with his skate, forehand backhand goal. 3-0 Caps with 6:21 into the second.
That is when it started to get ugly, very ugly. John Carlson’s see eye wrist shot just floats through the traffic in front and Price’s woes continued. He wasn’t happy with his young defenseman who screened him the whole way with no Caps in front. 4-0 Capitals 9:29 left in the second.
The manslaughter continued when Casey Wellman got a gift from Ovechkin. Ovechkin saw the Doug Murray was taking away the shot and made the pass over to Wellman (again he makes us stink). His shot beat replacement goal Peter Budaj. Wellman was just recalled from Hershey today, where he scored twice last night. Caps lead 5-0 with 11:22 remaining to play.
- Caps are incredibly stingy on shots allowed, 3 through 1 and 9 through 2, only 5 chances
- Erat’s goal is coming I can feel it
- Boy can Wilson fight, like to see more great passes like the one today though
- Beagle and Erskine first goals of year for first win in months
- Let me just say I said Erskine needed to be better and he has
- Keep Erat in the top 6, he creates offense 2 assists today
- 27 shots through 2, wow, just wow
- Orlvo looked good late, put one off the pipe
- Hey finally the other team pulled their goalie
- We look like the “Harlem Globetrotters” – Joe B
- Gianta is a punk, thug, whatever you want
- Powerplay is 0-6 but I think the 5 goals more than makes up, lot of guys on PP aren’t normally on
- HOLTBEAST SHUTOUT