Alex Ovechkin #8 of the Washington Capitals battles for the puck against Bryce Salvador #24 of the New Jersey Devils (Photo by Patrick McDermott/NHLI via Getty Images)
The Washington Capitals welcome the New Jersey Devils to Verizon Center tonight for the last game before the Olympic break. The Caps are looking for their first Metropolitan Division win since fucking Nam. Braden Holtby got his second straight start while Cory Schneider got his sixth.
The first period had plenty of chances for each team, with both teams getting a pair of powerplays. The Devils had a few chances very early forcing Holtby to prove he came ready to play, and he did have his big boy pants on. Eric Fehr has a good chance provided by Martin Erat, but his shot went wide.
Adam Henrique got the best chance of the game so far when he hit iron harder than a blacksmith on a shot that beat Holtby clean. Shortly after, the Capitals had their best chance of the game when Schneider stoned Jay Beagle on multiple shot attempts.
The Capitals finally broke the snoozefest when Julien Brouillette broke the tie with his first career NHL goal. The rookie made his NHL debut Thursday night with his first career point, an assist, and in his second game he got his first goal. A wrister from the point after the faceoff beat a heavily screened Schneider. Caps lead 1-0 with 9:10 left to play.
Martin Erat shut the door with his first goal of the season on the empty net, and Troy Brouwer added a third goal on another empty net. Brouwers goal was his 100th of his career, while Holtby added his third shotout of the campaign. I said the Capitals needed 6-8 points in the last 5 games, they got 7.
- Brouwer took a bad trip early, hope this isn’t a sign of 4+ penalty kills for the Caps. We can’t afford to go man down multiple times in games. Lately we need three goals to win so letting NJ get powerplays early could lead to needing another 3 goal game.
- And on the other special teams we need to do better. Our powerplay seems to have fallen asleep lately, an early PP goal would have been nice. Also Ovechkin has drawn a good amount of attention since being told by Milbury and JR that he has no “sweat effort”
- Brouwer had a great game Thursday night, tonight (so far) not so good.
- Caps were outshot 11-6 in the first, 11 different Devils recorded a SOG, Ovechkin had 4 of the Capitals 6 #SweatEffort
- Cory Schneider was not the best tonight, denying multiple shots on net from close.
- Heavy iron for both teams, Henrique hit heavy metal in the second and Ovechkin killed the post on the PP in the third.
- I like Brouillette, 2 games 2 points.