Tonight is gonna be a long night, on to the game!
The LA Kings welcome the Capitals in LA for an unfriendly East Coast start. I am not a fan of 10:30 starts at all, but that is neither here nor there. This is the first of two times the Capitals play the Kings this season, the second is in a few days, March 25th. A big game for the Capitals, third straight against playoff teams. They won the previous two, one in VC over Toronto 3-2 and one in OC against Anaheim with the same score.
Tom Wilson got in a nifty fight early against Kyle Clifford early. Both held the other off, trying not to take a nasty uppercut. No clear winner.
The Capitals went to the power play first when Jeff Carter got caught #breakingdarulez. Fun fact, well not so fun, Alex Ovechkin has never lit the lamp in Los Angeles. Drew Doughty saved that fact when he blocked an Ovechkin shot that was going to beat Jonathan Quick.
However LA claimed the first lead of the game, Anze Kopitar scored his 22nd of the season. His spot beat Jaro Halak’s 5 hole-ish area. Halak had his pads down, but the puck still found it’s way to the back of the net. 1-0 LA 14:09 into the first period, the first time the Capitals trailed in 3 games.
LA got it’s first power play on an interference call against Jason Chimera. Slightly nudged a king into the boards, and a good sell job got the cheapy call. The Capitals killed the penalty easily, their 15th straight kill. The Capitals killed there 16th straight after Nick Backstrom got called for holding. This one was a little harder, Dustin Brown had semi-breakway on a nice stretch play.
The Capitals had a great chance to equalize in the second period when the 4th line had a great shift. Dmitry Orlov’s chance game when he joined in on the rush, curl & dragged around a defender, and wristed it low blocker side. Quick was there to make that save along with a save on a Dustin Penner deflection, and Penner on the rebound of said deflection.
After the Capitals killed their 17th penalty in a row, they equalized on a nice Kuznetsov assist. His pass found Joel Ward sitting in the slot, Wardo put the puck where mom hides the cookies. Quick was down in his crab like position, allowing Ward’s shot to beat him high on his blocker side. 1 up with 7:34 left to play.
The Capitals stole a point from LA in this one, and almost stole the second in overtime when they had a power play. Eventually we went to a shootout.
1.) Anze Kopitar, loses control no goal
2.) Kuznetsov, SCOARS blocker side, 7 hole
3.) Jeff Carter scores, forehand to backhand 7 hole again
4.) Alex Ovechkin, no goal, goes 5 hole, Quick took it away
5.) Marion Gaborik, scores, wrist shot over the glove
6.) Nick Backstrom in must score pos, NO GOAL LA wins 😦
Hey we stole a point against LA, 3 of 4 so far on this road trip, need two in San Jose Saturday
- Halak is wearing his new mask which is just filthy, waiting for his new Caps pads, blocker and glove now (pictured below)
- Ovechkin played only ~15 minutes in Anaheim Tuesday night, 6 minutes of his ~21 minute average, would like to see him play top 3 forward minutes night in and night out
- Whoever can explain why Dustin Penner is babysitting the 4th line instead of top line minutes please do. Kuzya on the 4th line gives them 4 lines that they can cycle although he makes that 2nd line dangerous
- The penalty kill is on Feugo lately, 17 straight penalties killed at a good time to be killin penalties
- Flashes of Orlov’s brilliance flashed tonight, couple of offensive chances and defensive stops
- Gifs of the game can be seen here